Gislebertus (we know the artist!)
The Last Judgement
typanum and lintel on the west portal of Autun Cathedral
- Gislebertus, I just love you.
- Christ in the center looking powerful and serious
- on his left hand side are the people going to hell, because left = evil
- on the right is the elect, the “little goody two shoes” as my professor called them.
- in the archivolts we see beautiful deep undercuts and medallions with signs of the zodiac and the corresponding labors of the months on them. showing the terrestrial life.
- that was the medieval mind set (the terrestrial life) and that nothing in our human life will ever progress, not until the 2nd coming and the new world and life. that is what this tympanum is all about. ”This is beyond your daily experience.
- The last judgement scene was a popular theme found in doorways of churches at this time, so that the people entering could contemplate their sinful ways and be inspired, through fear, to “beat the straight and narrow”
I just love Gislebertus’s style, he makes the best demons around.
The details, the emotion, a unique and wonderous series of images that still merits our attention and admiration.
(Source: through-bein-cool, via arthistorycq)